No-Pasta Eggplant Lasagna
- Yield 6 servings
Broiled eggplant slices replace traditional pasta in this stellar lasagna recipe.
- 2 cups whole-milk or low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 -- egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesand cheese
- 2 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- -- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium eggplant with peel, sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb mixture
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 -- (28-ounce) jar your favorite marinara sauce
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, egg, parmesan, garlic, basil and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat broiler of your oven. Place eggplant slices on a baking pan. Spray with no-stick cooking spray. Season with Italian herbs, salt and pepper. Broil 2 inches from heat source 4 to 5 minutes or until softened. Turn, spray other side and broil until second side is lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup sauce on bottom of a 9-by-12-inch baking dish. Place half the eggplant slices over sauce in a single layer, cutting to fit as needed. Spread half the ricotta mixture evenly over eggplant slices. Cover with half the remaining marinara sauce and top with half the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layering with remaining ingredients. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until hot inside and golden brown on the surface.