No-Knead Garlic-Cheese Flatbread
- Yield: 12 to 18 servings
Serve this flatbread fresh; or let it rest overnight, then cut into strips and crisp in the oven, to make delightfully crunchy appetizer bread sticks. This recipe is a simple variation on Blitz Bread, our simplest no-knead bread.
- 1 1/2cups lukewarm water
- 3tablespoons olive oil (plus additional for drizzling)
- 1 1/4teaspoons salt
- 3 1/2cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1tablespoon instant yeast
- 4teaspoons Pizza Dough Flavor, optional
- Filling and Topping:
- 2cups diced cheese — cheddar, Monterey Jack, flavored cheddar, or your favorite
- 4 to 8-- garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- -- Pizza seasoning or your favorite dried herbs, to sprinkle on top
- Lightly grease a 13 x 9-inch pan, and drizzle 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil in the bottom.
- Combine all of the ingredients except the cheese and garlic, and beat at high speed with an electric mixer for 60 seconds.
- Add the cheese and garlic, beating gently just to combine.
- Scoop the sticky batter into the prepared pan, cover the pan, and let it rise at room temperature for 60 minutes, till it's become puffy.
- While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 375F.
- Sprinkle the dough with pizza seasoning, and/or the dried herbs of your choice, if desired.
- Bake the bread till it's golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove it from the oven, wait 5 minutes, then turn it out of the pan onto a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- To make crunchy bread sticks: Cut day-old bread into 1/2-inch slices. Lay the slices on an ungreased baking sheet, and bake them in a preheated 350F to 400F oven till they're a light golden brown and crunchy, 15 to 25 minutes or so; keep your eye on them, as they brown quickly towards the end. Makes 12 to 18 servings or about 50 breadsticks