No-Knead Carrot and Zucchini Bread
- Yield: 1 1lb loaf
- 1 2/3cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 3/4cup whole wheat flour
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of sugar
- 1teaspoon dried thyme, plus extra for sprinklin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1small carrot, grated
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 3/4cup soy or almond milk
- 1/2cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2tablespoons mixed seeds, plus extra for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl with 1/2 teaspoon salt and set aside. Squeeze the grated carrot and zucchini to remove any excess liquid and season with a little pepper. Add the carrot and zucchini mix to the dry ingredients and stir well.
- Make a well in the center and pour in the soy milk, and then gently fold using a spatula, ensuring not to overwork the mixture. Stir in the walnuts and seeds.
- Dust a little flour over a work surface and a baking sheet. Turn the mixture onto the surface and shape into a rough oval about 12in in diameter.
- Transfer the dough to the baking sheet, score the top with a sharp, floured knife, and sprinkle with a little more salt, thyme, and extra seeds.
- Lightly dust the loaf with flour and bake for 30 minutes or until it sounds hollow when you tap the bottom. Let it cool on a wire rack for a few minutes before slicing or tearing. Serve warm and generously spread with hummus.
Recipe from Keep it Vegan: Over 100 Simple, Healthy and Delicious Dishes by Áine Carlin (Kyle Books, 2015)