No-Fuss Eggplant Parm
- Yield 4 servings
This quick-and-easy eggplant parmesan recipe is super-low in carbs and fat, and you won't even miss the breading.
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 4 cups low-carb prepared marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano leaves (or 2 teaspoons dried oregano)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 cups grated fat-free cheese, such as Parmesan
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Lay the eggplant slices on the baking tray and spray their tops lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Bake, turning once, until the slices begin to soften and brown, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray a large saucepan with nonstick cooking spray. Set over medium heat and add the ground turkey, breaking it up with a spoon. Cook, stirring often, until the meat loses its raw, pink color and browns a bit, about 5 minutes. Pour in the marinara sauce; stir in the oregano and fennel seeds. Remove the pot from the heat.
- Layer the eggplant slices and turkey marinara sauce in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake until bubbling, about 30 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
From The 17 Day Diet Cookbook: 80 All New Recipes for Healthy Weight Loss by Dr. Mike Moreno. Copyright © 2012 by 17 Day Diet, Inc. Excerpted with permission by Free Press, a Division of Simon & Schuster, Inc.