New-York Style Health Salad
- Yield 16 servings
A bowl of marinated crisp vegetables, the "health salad," is served in nearly every deli from N.Y.C. to Miami.
- Health Salad Vegetables:
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 2 cucumbbers, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- Pickling Marinade:
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pickling spices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger root
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar
- To make salad: Place all ingredients in a large nonreactive bowl and toss well.
- To make marinade: Bring ingredients to a boil in a nonreactive saucepan over medium-high heat. Strain marinade over vegetables in bowl. Press down on vegetables to be sure they are submerged before storing. Place a heavy plate that fits within rim of bowl on top of vegetables to keep them submerged. Cool and cover. Chill at least a few hours or overnight before serving. This mix will keep refrigerated for a month. Makes 2 quarts.