New Year’s Lucky Round Risotto
- Yield 4 servings
This dish is bound to bring luck because it's full of round ingredients such as arborio rice, beets and onions.
When cooked, the beets turn the rice an amazing ruby color as they sweeten the dish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium beets, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 4 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 cups shredded red chard, Swiss chard, spinach or kale
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic and beets. Saute 4 minutes until vegetables are slightly softened. Add rice and stir to coat well with oil. Add 1 cup liquid at a time, stirring often and cooking slowly until each cup of liquid is absorbed before adding another cup. Continue cooking 20 minutes in all. Add greens and continue to simmer 3 minutes. Add butter, cheese, salt and pepper.