New Year’s Good Luck Bean Soup
- Yield: 4 servings
- 2cups mixed dried beans and black-eyes peas, sorted and rinsed
- 2 1/2teaspoons salt
- 8cups (or more) water
- 1 ham hock
- 1large Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 (10-ounce) can tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Juice of 1 lemon (or to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the beans and peas with the salt in a saucepan. Add water to cover. Let soak overnight; drain. Add 8 cups water or enough to cover the beans. Add the ham hock and onion. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 hour. Remove and discard the ham hock. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours longer or until the beans are tender. Stir in the whole tomatoes, tomatoes with green chiles, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Simmer until ready to serve.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Five Forks: Irresistibly Delicious Dishes (Kerr Vance Academy, Henderson, N.C., 2010).