New Year's Dumpling Delight
- Yield: 40 pieces
- 40 square wonton wrappers
- 1tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- Soy-Garlic Dipping Sauce
- 1/2cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2teaspoons sesame oil
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 2tablespoons green onions, minced
- Dumpling Filling
- 10ounces ground beef or pork
- 1cup leeks, minced
- 3cups Napa cabbage leaves, minced
- 2tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2tablespoon sesame oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine the dipping sauce ingredients in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate. Let the flavors blend in the refrigerator while making the dumplings.
- Combine all the filling ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Working with one wrapper at a time (cover the remaining wrappers with a damp towel to keep them from drying), spoon 2 teaspoons of meat filling into center of each wrapper. Moisten the edges of each wrapper with water. Bring the four corners of the wrapper up over the filling. Pinch the edges together tightly. Place the dumplings, seam side up, on carrot disks in a steamer.
- Steam the dumplings for 10 minutes or until the dumpling skins are translucent. Serve with dipping sauce.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Ying Chang Compestine’s D is for Dragon Dance (Holiday House, 2007)