New Year’s Dumpling Delight
- Yield 40 pieces
- 40 square wonton wrappers
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- Soy-Garlic Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons green onions, minced
- Dumpling Filling
- 10 ounces ground beef or pork
- 1 cup leeks, minced
- 3 cups Napa cabbage leaves, minced
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine the dipping sauce ingredients in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate. Let the flavors blend in the refrigerator while making the dumplings.
- Combine all the filling ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Working with one wrapper at a time (cover the remaining wrappers with a damp towel to keep them from drying), spoon 2 teaspoons of meat filling into center of each wrapper. Moisten the edges of each wrapper with water. Bring the four corners of the wrapper up over the filling. Pinch the edges together tightly. Place the dumplings, seam side up, on carrot disks in a steamer.
- Steam the dumplings for 10 minutes or until the dumpling skins are translucent. Serve with dipping sauce.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Ying Chang Compestine’s D is for Dragon Dance (Holiday House, 2007)