New Orleans-Style Barbecued Shrimp
- Yield: 8 servings
- 4pounds unpeeled, headless shrimp, rinsed and drained
- 4teaspoons pepper
- 2teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 2cups (4 sticks) butter, melted
- Place the shrimp in a heavy roasting pan or Dutch oven. Cook over medium to medium-high heat until the shrimp turn pink, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with the pepper, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and salt.
- Pour the butter over the shrimp. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Adjust the heat as necessary to prevent the butter from burning. Remove from the heat. Let stand, covered, to allow the butter sauce to permeate the shrimp.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Lafayette, Inc., Something to Talk About, Occasions We Celebrate in South Louisiana (the Junior League of Lafayette, Inc., 2005)