New Orleans Shrimp Creole
- Yield 4 servings
A spicy bayou favorite from recipe contributor Janet Player of Hilltop Lakes, Texas.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (optional)
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8-ounce can) tomato sauce, small
- 2 Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup water
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic and saute until soft. Add canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, Roma tomatoes, bay leaf, sugar, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium and cook 30 minutes.
- Cut shrimp into bite-sized pieces if desired; put shrimp and flour in a ziptop plastic bag. Shake to coat evenly; set aside.
- Add water to sauce, reduce heat to low and cook 5 minutes to blend flavors.
- Add shrimp and cook until starting to turn pink. Remove from heat and let stand 4 to 5 minutes to let shrimp finish cooking. Serve over rice.