New Mexican-Style Polenta with Chile Sauce
- Yield 4 servings
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces sharp Cheddar, grated
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 small onions, sliced
- 3 red or yellow bell peppers, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped (or substitute 1/4 cup salsa)
- 1 pound cooked turkey, chicken or pork (ground, cubed, or shredded)
- 1 ounce Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup Red or Green Chile Sauce
- To prepare polenta, bring water to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and add cornmeal in a steady stream, whisking constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick but can still be spooned out. Mix in salt and cheese.
- To prepare topping, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and peppers and cook, stirring frequently, until they wilt and begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, oregano and chipotle pepper and continue cooking for another 2 to 3 minutes. Add meat and cook until thoroughly heated.
- Spoon out a bed of polenta, and add topping. Sprinkle cheese over it, and top with Red Chile Sauce or Green Chile Sauce.