Navy Bean Bruschetta
- Yield 10 servings
In this protein packed bruschetta, navy beans are tossed together with baby spinach, shallots and cherry tomatoes.
- 1 (15-ounce) can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup baby spinach, rinsed, picked through and sliced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 shallot, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine or champagne vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 6 thick slices crusty whole-wheat bread
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, to grill the bread
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup shaved Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Toss the navy beans, spinach, cherry tomatoes, shallot, thyme and olive oil together in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Rub the bread with garlic and drizzle with olive oil. Grill the bread for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until the bread has reached the desired level of crunch.
- To make the bruschetta topping, toss the ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Rub the bread with olive oil and the garlic cloves. Grill both sides of the bread.
- Spoon a generous portion of the navy bean topping on each slice of toasted bread. Top with fresh cracked black pepper and shaved Parmigiano Reggiano.