Navajo-Style Peach Crisp
- Yield 10 servings
Peaches and pine nuts star in this sweet fruit dessert.
Eat it with fresh whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, or your bare hands.
- 7 cups peeled and sliced fresh peaches
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup very cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Butter an 10 x 8-inch baking dish.
- To prepare filling, combine peaches, sugar, flour and lemon juice in a large bowl. Use your hands to mix it well so no little flour remain. Spread fruit mixture evenly in pan.
- To prepare topping, combine flour, cornmeal sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Using your fingers or the paddle attachment of a mixer, work butter into ingredients so the mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in pint nuts.
- Cover evenly with topping. Set pan on a baking sheet to catch any juices that spill over. Bake 45 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling and tender to a fork and the topping is golden in color.
Recipe reprinted with permission from With A Measure of Grace, The Story and Recipes of a Small Town Restaurant.