- Yield 18 to 20 servings
This layered nacho supreme casserole featuring homemade guacamole makes a great appetizer and is a welcomed treat at tailgate parties.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound Chorizo (Mexican sausage) or hot Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco
- -- Salt
- 2 -- (1-pound) cans refried beans
- 1 -- (4-ounce) can whole green chiles, rinsed, seeded, deveined and chopped, or 6-ounces fresh Anaheim or poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded, deveined and chopped
- 6 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 6 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups milk taco sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 3/4 cup sliced pitted ripe olives
- 2 cups Guacamole
- 1 cup sour cream
- -- Tortiall chips, preferably homemade
- 2 -- ripe avocados, coarsely mashed
- 1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 -- (4-ounce) can whole green chiles, rinsed and finely chopped
- In large skillet, crumble ground beef and sausage.
- Add onion and cook, stirring, until meat is lightly browned and onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Pour off any and season with Tabasco and salt to taste. Set aside to cool.
- Spread refried beans in large (4 quart) shallow baking dish. Spread meat on top. Sprinkle chiles over meat.
- Toss together cheeses and arrange on top. Drizzle taco sauce over all, in a decorative pattern. I(The recipe may be make ahead to this point. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours. Let return to room temperature before baking.)
- Bake at 350F for 20 to 30 minutes or until hot and bubby.
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with the chopped scallions and sliced olives. Mound the Guacamole in the center.
- To prepare the guacamole. Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Stir to blend well.
- Top with sour cream, leaving some Gaucamole showing around the edges. Serve with tortilla chips for dipping.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Augusta’s Second Round; Tea Time at the Masters(Augusta, Georgia, 1988).