My Favorite Dried Cranberry Muffins
- Yield 6 yo 8 servings
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 6 ounces plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease muffin tins (6 to 8 muffin cups) or line with paper liners.
- Combine butter, egg, applesauce, yogurt and vanilla. Mix well.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda in a second bowl. Add fruit and nuts.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Spoon into muffin tins. Bake 25 to 30 minutes. Remove immediately from muffin tins and place on a wire rack to cool.
This is a very flexible recipe. I’ve used fresh, canned, jared, frozen and dried fruit, and all are wonderful. For chocolate muffins, omit fruit/nuts (unless wanted), add 8 ounces melted chocolate, and increase sugar to at least 1/4 cup.
The applesauce and yogurt make these very moist. Other tips to prevent dryness: (1) Check muffins frequently near end of cooking time and remove as soon as a clean knife inserted into a muffin comes out clean. (2) As soon as muffins are done, remove from oven, stovetop, and muffin tins. Any contact with heat will allow muffins to continue baking.
You can also place batter in 8-inch square pan (for cake) or in liners in muffin tins (for cupcakes). I like to make both in chocolate and frost with Nutella.