Mustardy Mushroom Stroganoff
- Yield: servings
- 2/3cup vegetable stock
- 1/2small onion, sliced
- 5ounces mixed mushrooms, chopped if large
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1/2teaspoon omato paste
- 1tablespoon sour cream
- Salt and black pepper
- Freshly chopped parsley, to serve (optional)
- Put 3 tablespoons of the stock in a saucepan. Add the onion, cover the pan, and cook for about 4 minutes or until the onion has softened and the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the mushrooms, garlic, and some salt and pepper, then add the remaining stock, mustard, and tomato paste. Cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes, then remove the lid and cook rapidly for 2 minutes to reduce the liquid to a syrup. Stir in the sour cream and parsley, if using, and serve immediately with rice or couscous.
- Serve with basmati and wild rice (which is really good for you!) or couscous, together with some green beans or cabbage.
From: The Vegetarian Student Cookbook: Great Grub for the Hungry and the Broke. Ryland Peters & Small, www.rylandpeters.com. $16.95