Mushrooms Fra Diavlo
- Yield 4 servings
For Mushrooms fra Diavolo, you can use button mushrooms or a combination of varieties. If you prefer less spice.
- 2 teaspoons pure olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, thickly sliced (button mushrooms or a combination of button, shiitake, cremini and portobello mushrooms may be used)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon dried red chili flakes
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, minced
- 1 (26-ounce) jar commercially prepared marinara or your favorite meatless tomato sauce
- Place oil in a heavy bottom nonreactive saucepan and heat over medium heat. Add the onions and green peppers; saute for 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly softened. Add the sliced mushrooms and garlic, continue to saute for 2 to 3 minutes longer. Add the diced tomatoes and chili flakes, saute for approximately 2 minutes longer. Add the basil and tomato sauce. Mix ingredients, reduce heat and simmer stirring occasionally for 30 minutes until flavors blend and vegetables are tender.