- Yield 4 servings
Lots of hearty mushrooms replace beef in this delicious stroganoff recipe.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 -- onion, sliced
- 2 cups crimini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cooking sherry, divided
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 1 to 2 tablespoon cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- -- Egg noodles and sour cream for serving
- Melt the olive oil and butter together in a heavy pot set over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they become very soft and begin to turn golden, about 10 minutes. Add the mushrooms, 1/4 cup sherry, sage, salt, peppercorns, and pepper. Whisk in the cornstarch. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until the mushrooms soften and the liquid has cooked off. Turn the heat to high and add the remaining sherry and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, allowing it reduce into a thick sauce.
- Serve over top of noodles with a dollop of sour cream.
Courtesy of the Mushroom Council and Healthy. Delicious