- Yield: 4 servings
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1teaspoon butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2cups crimini mushrooms, quartered
- 1cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4cup plus 2 tablespoons cooking sherry, divided
- 1teaspoon sage
- 1pinch salt
- 1tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 1 to 2tablespoon cracked pepper
- 1teaspoon cornstarch
- Egg noodles and sour cream for serving
- Melt the olive oil and butter together in a heavy pot set over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they become very soft and begin to turn golden, about 10 minutes. Add the mushrooms, 1/4 cup sherry, sage, salt, peppercorns, and pepper. Whisk in the cornstarch. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until the mushrooms soften and the liquid has cooked off. Turn the heat to high and add the remaining sherry and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, allowing it reduce into a thick sauce.
- Serve over top of noodles with a dollop of sour cream.
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council’s Mushroom Channel