Mushroom Sausage Strudel
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
Here's a wonderful brunch idea.
- 2 pounds mild sausage (or 1/2 hot)
- 2 pounds fresh mushrooms, minced
- 1/4 cup shallots or green onions
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Phyllo pastry
- Preheat oven to 400F. Remove sausage from casing and saute meat, crumbling into small pieces. Drain and set aside. Saute mushroomes with shallots in butter and oil. Stir frequently; cook until pieces separate and liquid has evaportared. Add salt and pepper; combine mushroom mixture, sausage and cream cheese blending well. Spread sheet of phyllo pastry on a lightly dampened towel. Quckly brush with melted butter and sprinkle with crumbs. Top with second sheet, butter and crumbs; repeat. Top with fourth sheet but omit crumbs. Spoon half of sausage mushroom mixture along narrow edge of phyllo sheet, leaving two-inch border at sides. Fold in sides and roll up pastry sheet. Put strudel on a buttered baking sheet and brush with melted butter. Repeat using four sheets of pastry and sausage mixture. Bake until browned (about 20 minutes). Cut and serve.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Saturday Club’s Philadelphia Main Line Classics (The Saturday Club, Wayne, Pennsylvania, 1982).