Mushroom Sage Focaccia
- Yield 8 servings
This focaccia is laced with earthy mushrooms and savory sage.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon diced shallot
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped sage
- Mix together flours, yeast, and salt in a large bowl or stand mixer. Slowly add 1 tablespoon olive oil and the water while stirring the dry ingredients. Once the dough comes mostly together in a large ball, work it together with your hands, then turn out onto a floured surface. Knead dough to form a smooth ball, then place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk; about two hours.
- Punch down dough and turn out onto a floured surface. Roll out dough into a large circle or rectangle and let rest.
- Meanwhile, heat a small saucepan over medium. Add ½ tablespoon olive oil and heat through. Add the mushrooms, shallot, and sage, and saute until the mushrooms are softened and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Make indentations in the dough using your fingers, then drizzle remaining olive oil over the top. Scatter mushroom mixture over thedough, then sprinkle on remaining salt.
- Bake at 375F on a pizza stone or greased baking sheet 35 to 45 minutes, until golden brown.
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council’s Mushroom Channel