Mushroom Mini-Muffin Cups
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1/2cup plus 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1cup finely chopped sweet or Vidalia onion
- 1pound portobello mushroom caps, finely chopped
- 3/4cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1teaspoon sea salt
- 2teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 8slices wheat bread
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter and saute onion and mushrooms 6 to 7 minutes or until softened. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheeses, parsley, egg yolks, salt and Italian seasoning.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a small saucepan. With a rolling pin, flatten each slice of bread and cut into 4 squares. Dip each square into melted butter and place in a mini-muffin cup. Top each with a scoop of mushroom mixture. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly and serve warm.
Recipe by Julie Wesson, Wilton, Wis.