- Yield 2 servings
This flatbread pizza features hearty mushrooms, ricotta cheese and lean ground beef.
- 6 ounces white button mushrooms
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces 93% lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 (12-inch) light whole wheat wraps
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Chop mushrooms into ¼-inch pieces.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add meat and cook, breaking meat into very small bits. Drain. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Remove from pan and reserve.
- Add olive oil to skillet. Add mushrooms and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes. Drain. Add beef back to pan and combine with mushrooms.
- In a small bowl, combine ricotta cheese, oregano, and basil. Spread the cheese mixture on two 12-inch light whole wheat wraps, dividing evenly. Layer equal amounts of the beef and mushroom mixture on top of the cheese mixture. Sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Place the pizza directly on the oven rack. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until crust isgolden brown and cheese is melted.
Tips: As a substitute for ricotta cheese, blend ½ cup cottage cheese with 1 tablespoon of milk in blender or food processor. Use fresh herbs like oregano and basil instead of Parmesan cheese and also use reduced fat cheese for a lighter version with less cholesterol, fat and saturated fat.
Recipe adapted from MyPlate for Moms, How to Feed Yourself & Your Family Better, by Elizabeth M. Ward, M.S., R.D., courtesy of the Mushroom Council’s Mushroom Channel