Mushroom Chicken Piccata
- Yield 4 servings
This chicken dish is packed with delicious crimini mushrooms.
- 4 chicken cutlets (4 ounces each)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces crimini mushrooms, quartered
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons capers, with juice
- Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides and heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil and warm briefly, then add chicken and cook until nicely browned, about 2 minutes per side. Remove to a plate and cover.
- In the same pan, warm the remaining olive oil over medium-high heat. Add a single layer of mushrooms and cook, without stirring, for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms become red-brown on one side. Flip mushrooms, add garlic and cook another 2 minutes. Add wine and scrape up any browned bits in the pan. Bring to a boil and add stock, then return heat until it is bubbling nicely.
- Slice 4 very thin slices of lemon and add to the pan along with the juice from half of the lemon. Add capers and continue cooking sauce till it becomes a glaze, about 2 more minutes. Add the chicken to the sauce and heat through, then serve.
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council’s Mushroom Channel