- Yield: 4 servings
- 6ounces white button mushrooms
- 6ounces cremini mushrooms
- 2teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 8ounces 93% lean ground beef
- 1large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2teaspoons dried basil or 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 (2-ounce) whole-wheat sandwich buns
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chop mushrooms into ¼-inch pieces. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons canola oil. Place mushrooms in pan and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes. Drain. Return mushrooms to pan and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the mushrooms, ricotta cheese, ground beef, egg, breadcrumbs, and basil. Form mixture into 4 burgers.
- Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons canola oil. Cook burgers for about 5 to 7 minutes on eachside, or until done. (Or grill burgers.) Serve on sandwich buns.
Tips: These are delicious with caramelized onions, fresh tomato and cheddar cheese.
Recipe adapted from MyPlate for Moms, How to Feed Yourself & Your Family Better, by Elizabeth M. Ward, M.S., R.D., courtesy of the Mushroom Council’s Mushroom Channel
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 393
- Fat 20g
- Saturated Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 98mg
- Sodium 681mg
- Carbohydrate 31g
- Fiber 11g
- Protein 30g