Vegan Mushroom Barley Soup
- Yield: servings
- 4cups water
- 3/4cup uncooked pearl barley
- 2medium onions, chopped
- 2stalks celery, chopped
- 1tablespoon oil or water, for sauteing
- 1 1/2pounds sliced fresh mushrooms (shiitake and cremini are my favorites)
- 2cups chopped carrots (3 or 4 large carrots)
- 6cups vegetable stock
- 1tablespoon tomato paste
- 1tablespoon truffle oil (optional)
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a 3-quart saucepan, bring the water and barley to a boil. Reduce the heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the barley is partially cooked. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a soup pot, saute the onions and celery in oil until tender, about 7 minutes. Add the mushrooms; cook, stirring, for 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in the carrots, stock, tomato paste, and partially cooked barley.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in truffle oil, salt, and pepper. Taste, and adjust the seasonings.
- Sprinkle with parsley, and serve.
From Color Me Vegan by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau – Fair Winds Press