Mushroom Barley Soup
- Yield: 8 servings
- 3tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 3/4cup pearled barley
- 1medium onion, finely chopped
- 2medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1large leek (white and light green parts only), halved leek, cut into halves lengthwise and thinly slicedv
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2cup dry sherry
- 1 (32-ounce) box reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/4cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add mushrooms; sauté until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add barley and toast lightly, sautéing with mushrooms about 2 minutes. Add onion, carrots and leek; sauté until soft, about 10 minutes. Add garlic in the last minute.
- Stir in flour; cook 2 minutes. Add sherry; cook 1 minute. Pour in broth and 1½ cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until barley is tender, about 40 minutes.
- Season generously with salt and pepper; stir in dill. Spoon into serving bowls, and top with Parmesan.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 175
- Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 14mg
- Sodium 423mg
- Carbohydrate 23g
- Fiber 4g
- Protein 6g