Mushroom Barley Soup
- Yield 8 servings
A flurry of Parmesan adds a risotto-like finish to this anything but soupy soup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup pearled barley
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large leek (white and light green parts only), halved leek, cut into halves lengthwise and thinly slicedv
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 (32-ounce) box reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add mushrooms; sauté until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add barley and toast lightly, sautéing with mushrooms about 2 minutes. Add onion, carrots and leek; sauté until soft, about 10 minutes. Add garlic in the last minute.
- Stir in flour; cook 2 minutes. Add sherry; cook 1 minute. Pour in broth and 1½ cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until barley is tender, about 40 minutes.
- Season generously with salt and pepper; stir in dill. Spoon into serving bowls, and top with Parmesan.
Recipe by Laraine Perri for Relish, Jan. 2013 tablet