Mushroom Barley Soup
- Yield 8 servings
A savory fiber-rich soup that hits the spot on a cool night.
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 8 cups beef or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute the garlic, onion, carrot and mushrooms until tender. Add tomato sauce and broth. Bring to a boil and add barley. Reduce heat, cover and cook for 1 hour or until barley is done. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add more water, if needed.
Note: Use “low salt” broth or homemade broth to lower sodium level.