Mushroom and Red Pepper Crostini
- Yield servings
Lightly grilled Italian bread is topped with mozzarella cheese and hot grilled vegetables.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 loaf Italian bread, sliced diagonally into 16 (3/4-inch slices)
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large sweet red bell pepper, cut in 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 large mild red onion, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- Preheat charcoal grill or broiler.
- In a large bowl, combine olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Lightly brush both sides of each bread slice with oil mixture; set aside. To remaining oil in bowl, stir in mushrooms, red pepper and onion; toss to coat thoroughly.
- Place vegetables on a grill rack or broiler pan. Grill or broil, 4 inches from heat source until vegetables are lightly charred, 5 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally; remove and keep warm. Place bread slices on the grill rack or under the broiler until lightly browned, about 30 seconds; turn bread. Sprinkle 1 cup of the mozzarella over bread slices, dividing evenly;heat just until melted. Top cheese with hot grilled vegetables and remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella.
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council’s Mushroom Channel