Mushroom and Chicken Quinoa with Chiles
- Yield 4 servings
This chicken dish features oyster mushrooms and red jalapeno chiles.
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- Cooking spray
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 oyster mushroom, roughly chopped
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 small red jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 fresh scallions, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 dash freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 5 tablespoons Cotja cheese, crumbled
- Combine quinoa in a medium sauce pan with 1 1/2 cups of water; simmer 10 to 15 minutes. Remove cooked quinoa large bowl; loosely cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat a small skillet over medium heat; spray with cooking spray and add chicken. Cook 10 to 12 mintues, or until cooked through, turning once through. Remove and set aside until coolenough to handle. Cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees. In a large bowl toss together 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic, mushrooms, onion, peppers, parsley, scallions and red pepper flakes. Place mix on rimmed baking sheet and cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes stirring once.
- Toss cooked vegetables with warm quinoa; season with salt and pepper. Drizzle mixture with lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Toss until evenly mixed.
- Add diced chicken and cheese; toss again. Serve warm.
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council’s Mushroom Channel