Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Tacos
- Yield 4 servings
Try these unique vegetarian tacos starring hearty mushrooms and caramelized onions.
- 1 pound mixed crimini and button mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large yellow onion
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet Spanish paprika
- 3 garlic cloves
- Chopped Italian parsley
- 1 pinch sugar
- Freshly ground sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Sauté mushrooms in batches until they are evenly browned, careful not to crowd the pan. In the meantime, slice the onion thinly crosswise. Transfer the mushrooms to a large bowl.
- Heat the remaining butter and olive oil. Add onions and cook until they start to turn golden in colour. Add a pinch of sugar to help them caramelize. Sauté stirring occasionally until a deep golden brown. Add garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Transfer onions and garlic to bowl with the mushrooms.
- Add the sweet paprika, 3/4 cup cheese and some of the chopped parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir ingredients toincorporate.
- Heat tortillas in the microwave in a loosely covered container in the microwave on high for 2 minutes, turning after 1 minute. Spoon mushroom and onion mixture and some of the crème fraiche into the middle of each tortilla. Serve on a platter garnished with remaining parsley and cheese.
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council’s Mushroom Channel and Gratinee