Mushroom and Black-Eyed Pea Ragout
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 25 mins
A ragout (ra-GOO) is a thick stew of meats or, in this case, vegetables. It’s great with the creamy Parmesan Polenta, but also good with mashed potatoes or even grits.
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 1large onion, sliced vertically
- 1/4pound shiitake mushrooms, tough part of stems removed, thickly sliced
- 1/4pound mixed mushrooms (such as cremini, baby bella and oyster mushrooms), sliced
- 4cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 1/2cups mushroom or vegetable broth
- 1tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2cup red wine
- 2cans (15-ounce) black-eyed peas, drained
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4teaspoon honey
- 1/8teaspoon Tabasco
- 1bunch hearty greens (kale, turnip, mustard or chard) washed, thinly sliced and blanched
- Parmesan Polenta (See Recipe)
- Fresh shaved Parmesan, optional
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add onion, mushrooms and garlic; sauté until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, tomato paste, wine, black-eyed peas, salt, pepper, honey and Tabasco; bring to boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Stir in greens; cook until thoroughly heated.
- Spoon Parmesan Polenta into serving bowls. Top with ragout and garnish with Parmesan shavings, if desired.
Recipe by Crescent Dragonwagon.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 250
- Fat 8g
- Sodium 400,g
- Carbohydrate 39g
- Fiber 8g
- Protein 10g