Mushroom and Black Bean Burgers
- Yield: 8 servings
- 4 to 5slices stale whole-wheat bread
- 1/4cup cashews
- 2tablespoons water
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1small onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 3medium portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2teaspoons chili powder
- 2teaspoons oregano
- 1 (15-ounce) can black or kidney beans, well drained
- 6sprigs cilantro, minced
- 1large all purpose or Yukon Gold potato, peeled, cooked and mashed
- 1/4cup grated soy cheese, cheddar cheese, or monterey jack cheese
- 2tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- In a food processor fitted with metal blade, process bread slices into crumbs (you should have about 1 cup); remove from food processor and set aside. Then add cashews to food processor and process with 2 tablespoons water to form a paste. Remove from processor and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, chili powder and oregano and saute 2 minutes until softened. Place vegetable mixture in a food processor fitted with metal blade. Add beans and cilantro and process briefly using on/off pulses until vegetables and beans are combined but still a bit chunky.
- Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl. Add mashed potatoes, bread crumbs, cheese, pureed nuts and tamari. Combine well with a fork or spoon just until mixed. Mixture should be texture of chopped meat. You may add a bit more bread crumbs if it appears loose. Using wet hands, form mixture into patties and rest on a plate until cooking time.
- To saute, spray a skillet with no-stick cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook until browned and heated through. Or preheat a gas or charcoal grill fitted with a cooking screen (this is a metal mesh that you set on the grill to keep small pieces of food from falling through) sprayed with no-stick cooking spray. Place patties on screen and cook until browned and of desired doneness.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 177
- Fat 6g
- Cholesterol 4mg
- Sodium 522mg
- Carbohydrate 24g
- Fiber 7g
- Protein 8g