Munchable Mini-Burgers with Flavorful Fruit Dips
- Yield 6 servings
These adorable mini-burgers are infused with all the nutrition of puréed sweet potatoes – a rich source of vitamin A. Serve them on fresh-baked biscuits with one or more of the delicious fruit dips.
- For Sweet Tomato Dip:
- 1 -- (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- For Tangy Peach Dip:
- 1 -- (15-ounce) can peaches in juice, drained
- 2 teaspoons mustard, yellow or brown
- 2 teaspoons honey
- For Apricot Mayo:
- 1 -- (8-ounce) can apricot halves, in light syrup
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, light or regular
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Burgers:
- 1 -- (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes (or yams) in syrup drained
- 1 tablespoon canned tomato paste
- 1 pound ground turkey or lean beef
- 1 -- (7.5-ounce) roll refrigerated, lower-fat buttermilk biscuits, baked to package directions
- To make any dip or mayo: Purée the canned ingredients in a food processor, blender or immersion blender and mix in remaining ingredients; set aside.
- To make burgers: Mash sweet potatoes and tomato paste in mixing bowl with a fork. Mix in the ground turkey or beef until thoroughly blended. Portion in 1/4-cup portions and form into 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick burgers, about 3-inches across. Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat and spray with oil. Cook burgers covered until no longer pink inside, about 4 minutes per side. The internal temperature of the patties should be 165F. To serve: Split biscuits horizontally and make sandwiches with burgers. Serve dips or mayo for dipping.