Mulled Apple Cider Chai
- Yield: 4 servings
When beverages, such as cider, wine or beer, are mulled, they’re warmed with spices and sugar. Once the cider comes a simmer, turn the heat very low so the liquid barely bubbles. Don’t stint on the whole spices, and don’t try use powdered in their place—a slow simmer is essential to impart the rich mulled flavor.
- 2cups apple cider
- 1 1/2cups water
- 2 orange pekoe tea bags, labels removed
- 1tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 1/4teaspoon whole allspice
- 6whole cloves
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Cover and bring to a simmer.
- Lower heat so mixture barely simmers and cook 10 minutes. Strain into 4 mugs.