Mulberry Cream Scones
- Yield 12 pieces
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup butter,chilled
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 small fresh grated lemon zest
- 1-1/2 cup fresh or frozen Mulberries
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Place flour, sugar, both measurements of baking powder, and salt into an electric mixer bowl. Mix all ingredients together thoroughly.
- Cut butter into small pieces and add to flour mixture in bowl. On low speed, mix until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, eggs, vanilla, and lemon peel. With mixer on low, add cream mixture to flour mixture and mix until about half incorporated. Add the mulberries and mix carefully by hand until a soft dough forms.
- On a floured surface, form the dough into a 9" circle. Cut into 12 even wedges.
- Place wedges onto 2 cookie sheets. Bake at 375 degrees about 20 minutes, or until golden. Remove carefully from cookie sheets onto wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk powdered sugar and lemon juice together until the consistency of a thin icing. Ice each scone thinly, and allow icing to set up.
Scones will keep in a covered container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Let come to room temperature, or microwave to serve. Excellent for breakfasts, brunches or anytime snacks.