Mulberry Cream Scones
- Yield: 12 pieces
- 4cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2cup sugar
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 2/3cup butter,chilled
- 1cup heavy cream
- 2large eggs
- 1tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1small fresh grated lemon zest
- 1-1/2cup fresh or frozen Mulberries
- 1cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2-3tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Place flour, sugar, both measurements of baking powder, and salt into an electric mixer bowl. Mix all ingredients together thoroughly.
- Cut butter into small pieces and add to flour mixture in bowl. On low speed, mix until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, eggs, vanilla, and lemon peel. With mixer on low, add cream mixture to flour mixture and mix until about half incorporated. Add the mulberries and mix carefully by hand until a soft dough forms.
- On a floured surface, form the dough into a 9" circle. Cut into 12 even wedges.
- Place wedges onto 2 cookie sheets. Bake at 375 degrees about 20 minutes, or until golden. Remove carefully from cookie sheets onto wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk powdered sugar and lemon juice together until the consistency of a thin icing. Ice each scone thinly, and allow icing to set up.
Scones will keep in a covered container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Let come to room temperature, or microwave to serve. Excellent for breakfasts, brunches or anytime snacks.