Mount Rainier Chili
- Yield 12 to 14 servings
This is a delicious white chicken chili recipe.
- 1 pound Great Northern white beans, rinsed and picked over
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -- (4-ounce)cans chopped mild green chiles
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 -- (12-ounce) can beer
- 3 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded and divided
- -- sour cream
- -- salsa
- -- fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Place beans in a large, heavy pot. Add enough cold water to cover by at least 3 inches. Cover and soak overnight.
- Place chicken in a large, heavy saucepan. Add cold water to cover and bring to a simmer. Cook until just tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and cool Remove skin and cut chicken into cubes.
- Drain beans into large colander. Heat oil in same pot. Add onions and saute over medium-low heat until translucent, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic, green chiles, cumin, oregano, cloves and cayenne. Saute 2 minutes. Add beans and stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until beans are very tender, stirring occasionally, about 3 to 4 hours. Add additional water if necessary. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and bring to a simmer before continuing.) Add chicken, beer and 1 cup of cheese. Stir until cheese melts. Ladle chili into bowls. Serve with remaining cheese and sour cream, salsa and cilantro leaves to sprinkle on top.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Seattle’s Simply Classic (The Junior League of Seattle, Washington, Inc., 2002).