- Yield: 16 servings
- 2 1/4cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3cup granulated sugar
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- 11tablespoons (1 stick plus 3 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1cup cold heavy cream
- Vanilla Icing:
- 1cup powdered sugar
- 1/4teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- To prepare scones, whisk together flour, granulated sugar and baking powder in a large bowl until well combined.
- Add butter. Using a pastry blender or your hands, blend butter into dry ingredients until mixture is consistency of coarse meal.
- Add cream; stir just until blended.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly until a smooth dough is formed. Pat into a square about 1-inch thick. Cut dough into 16 triangles (cut into 4 squares first, then cut each square into fourths diagonally). Arrange 1 inch apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake until lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool a few minutes before icing.
- To prepare icing, mix powdered sugar and vanilla extract in a small bowl. Add water, a little at a time, to achieve a drizzling consistency.
- Dip end of a whisk into icing, then wave over warm scones. Makes 16 scones.
Recipe courtesy of Mother’s Bistro, Portland, Ore.