Moroccan-Style Chicken and Potato Stew
- Yield 2 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 60 mins
A thick and hearty stew starring potatoes, chicken and figs.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 -- skinless bone-in chicken breast halves (about 8 to 10 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, ground cinnamon, ground cumin, curry powder
- 1 -- (14 1/2 ounces) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 pound potatoes (about 2 medium), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup baby carrots
- 1/2 cup dried figs or 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 -- garlic cloves, finely chopped
- In Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken from pot; set aside.
- In same pot, cook and stir onion and garlic 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is translucent. Stir in seasonings; cook and stir 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add tomatoes, potatoes, carrots and figs; heat until tomatoes just come to a boil. (Mixture will look dry at first; additional liquid will form as stew cooks.) Return chicken to pot. Cover tightly; reduce heat and simmer 35 to 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in lemon juice before serving.