Moroccan Spinach Lentil Soup with Lemon
- Yield 12 cups
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, peeled and finely diced
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 quart good-quality vegetable stock, heated
- 2 cups French green lentils (preferred) or brown lentils, well rinsed and drained
- 1 (20-ounce) can diced tomatoes or about 5 medium, fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1 pound fresh spinach, stemmed and chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Warm the olive oil over medium heat in a heavy-bottomed soup pot. Add the onion, lemon zest, and dry spices.
- When the mixture becomes fragrant, add the stock, lentils, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for about 30 minutes, or until the lentils are softened, stirring frequently.
- Add the chopped spinach and cook until wilted, about 10 minutes. Taste for seasonings and add fresh lemon juice and salt as needed.
Reprinted with permission from The Veganopolis Cookbook by David Stowell and George Black, Agate Surrey, 2010