Moroccan Spinach Lentil Soup with Lemon
- Yield: 12 cups
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 1large red onion, peeled and finely diced
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1tablespoon dry oregano
- 2teaspoons paprika
- 2teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1quart good-quality vegetable stock, heated
- 2cups French green lentils (preferred) or brown lentils, well rinsed and drained
- 1 (20-ounce) can diced tomatoes or about 5 medium, fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1pound fresh spinach, stemmed and chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Warm the olive oil over medium heat in a heavy-bottomed soup pot. Add the onion, lemon zest, and dry spices.
- When the mixture becomes fragrant, add the stock, lentils, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for about 30 minutes, or until the lentils are softened, stirring frequently.
- Add the chopped spinach and cook until wilted, about 10 minutes. Taste for seasonings and add fresh lemon juice and salt as needed.
Reprinted with permission from The Veganopolis Cookbook by David Stowell and George Black, Agate Surrey, 2010