Moroccan Eggplant Pancakes
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
A great brunch or dinner for your Passover meal.
- 2 medium eggplants, whole
- 1 medium Spanish onion, grated
- 2 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups matzo meal plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 -- eggs, beaten
- -- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Prick eggplants using tines of a fork. Place eggplants in a baking pan and bake, uncovered, 40 minutes until tender. When cool enough to handle, cut into halves lengthwise and scoop cooked eggplant from shell into a large mixing bowl.
- Add grated onions, garlic, 2 cups matzo meal, cumin, parsley, mint, eggs, salt and pepper and using a spoon or fork mix until well combined. Mixture should resemble a thick mash that can be spooned into patties. If mixture looks thin, add a little more matzo meal.
- Spoon or scoop eggplant mixture into heaping tablespoon-size patties, flatten slightly with back of a spoon and place on a plate.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Place pancakes in pan and cook 3 minutes until well browned. Turn and cook 3 minutes until browned on other side. Serve with Spicy Sephardic Salsa.