Moroccan Cinnamon and Lemon Chicken
- Yield: servings
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly sliced
- 1-inchstick cinnamon
- 2large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/2teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3pounds 5 oz chicken legs and thighs on the bone, skinned
- 2cups roughly sliced small waxy potatoes
- 1 unwaxed lemon, thinly sliced and seeds removed
- 2large handfuls parsley leaves, finely chopped
- Sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat, then add the onion and cinnamon. Cook, stirring occasionally, 6 to 7 minutes until the onion is just turning golden.
- Add the tomatoes, turmeric and black pepper and season with a good pinch of salt. Mix everything together well and then add the chicken. Cover the chicken with alternate layers of potato and lemon slices (the order doesn’t matter), then pour enough freshly boiled water over to just cover everything. Put the Dutch oven in the oven with the lid on, then cook 1 hour, or until the chicken is cooked through a beautifully tender.
- Return the Dutch oven to the stovetop over medium heat, remove the lid and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally and very gently, so the sauce reduces. Gently stir in the parsley and serve immediately.
Recipe from Mighty Spice Cookbook by John Gregory Smith, reprinted with permission from Sterling Publishing.