Chicken Pie with Couscous Crust
- Yield: 6-8 servings
- Pie Crust:
- 1cup chicken broth
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1cup couscous
- 3tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2-- egg whites, beaten
- -- Nonstick cooking spray
- Filling and topping:
- 3tablespoons butter
- 1large onion, diced in 1/4-inch dice
- 1cup diced carrots, in 1/4-inch dice
- 1 1/2pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- 2teaspoons salt
- 1teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1cup chicken broth
- -- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 1 1/2cups sliced almonds
- 1/4cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- For the crust: In a small saucepan on the stove, bring the chicken stock and the salt to a boil over high heat. Once the stock starts to boil, turn off the stove add the couscous; cover with the lid and remove from heat. Set aside to steam for 5 minutes, then to cool for 10 minutes. Once couscous is cool, toss with a fork and add in the parsley. Mix thoroughly with the egg white until all of the couscous is coated and the parsley is mixed in completely. Coat the bottom and sides of a deep dish 9-inch piepan with nonstick cooking spray. Press evenly into the bottom and sides of the pan. Set aside.
- For the filling: In a large nonstick skillet, heat the butter over medium high heat. Once the butter is melted and has stopped sizzling, add the onions and carrots. Saute for about 5 minutes, until onions are just starting to turn translucent. Add the chicken pieces, ginger, garlic, cinnamon, tumeric, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir until thoroughly combined, then saute for another 5 minutes, until chicken is beginning to turn opaque. Add the broth, lemon juice and zest and continue to cook until vegetables are tender and sauce is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat.
To assemble the pie, add the filling to the crust in the pan gently, so as not to disturb the crust. Spread evenly in the pan, then top evenly with the sliced almonds. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until almonds are lightly toasted. Remove from oven and top evenly with the parsley. Allow pie to rest for ten minutes before cutting.