Chicken Pie with Couscous Crust
- Yield 6-8 servings
In ingenious crust made from couscous forms the based for sauteed chicken and vegetables, and the whole shebang is topped with almonds.
- Pie Crust:
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup couscous
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 -- egg whites, beaten
- -- Nonstick cooking spray
- Filling and topping:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced in 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup diced carrots, in 1/4-inch dice
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- -- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- For the crust: In a small saucepan on the stove, bring the chicken stock and the salt to a boil over high heat. Once the stock starts to boil, turn off the stove add the couscous; cover with the lid and remove from heat. Set aside to steam for 5 minutes, then to cool for 10 minutes. Once couscous is cool, toss with a fork and add in the parsley. Mix thoroughly with the egg white until all of the couscous is coated and the parsley is mixed in completely. Coat the bottom and sides of a deep dish 9-inch piepan with nonstick cooking spray. Press evenly into the bottom and sides of the pan. Set aside.
- For the filling: In a large nonstick skillet, heat the butter over medium high heat. Once the butter is melted and has stopped sizzling, add the onions and carrots. Saute for about 5 minutes, until onions are just starting to turn translucent. Add the chicken pieces, ginger, garlic, cinnamon, tumeric, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir until thoroughly combined, then saute for another 5 minutes, until chicken is beginning to turn opaque. Add the broth, lemon juice and zest and continue to cook until vegetables are tender and sauce is slightly reduced, about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat.
To assemble the pie, add the filling to the crust in the pan gently, so as not to disturb the crust. Spread evenly in the pan, then top evenly with the sliced almonds. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until almonds are lightly toasted. Remove from oven and top evenly with the parsley. Allow pie to rest for ten minutes before cutting.