- Yield servings
This quick dish includes a distinctive combination of dried plums, stewed tomatoes and spices served with a simple tabbouleh.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 -- chicken thighs, skinned
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -- (14 1/2-ounce) can no-salt-added stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup prune juice or orange juice
- 6 -- pitted dried plums (prunes), diced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup plain tabbouleh dry mix
- 1 1/3 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and brown on one side. Turn and add the onion; continue cooking until the onion and chicken are browned. Drain the excess fat. Stir in the tomatoes, juice, dried plums, allspice, salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and cook 5 minutes over medium heat. Uncover and simmer about 10 minutes, until the sauce thickens and the chicken is done; turning the chicken and stirring the sauce occasionally. Meanwhile combine the boiling water and the tabbouleh. Cover and rest for 5 minutes. Add the parsley to the tabbouleh, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve the chicken and sauce on a bed of the tabbouleh.