Moroccan Beef with Honey-Spice Couscous
- Yield 6 servings
Serve this flank steak on a bed of couscous, dressed up with garbanzo beans and tomatoes.
- 1 -- (1 1/2-pound) beef flank steak
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Honey-Spice Couscous:
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup reserved steak marinade
- 1 -- (8 3/4-ounce) garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 -- box couscous
- To prepare marinade, combine vinegar and seasonings; stir well. Add honey and oil, stirring until blended. Remove 1/3 cup marinade; set aside for preparing couscous.
- Place flank steak in plastic bag; add marinade, turning to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Preheat 10 or 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade.
- Place steak in skillet (Cut steak in half, if necessary to fit pan.) Cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until browned. Turn steak, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 7 to 10 minutes for medium doneness. Slice steak diagonally into thin slices. Serve with pan juices.
- While steak is cooking, prepare Honey-Spice Couscous: In large saucepan combine water, reserved marinade, garbanzo beans, tomatoes and parsley. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in couscous. Cover and remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with fork to serve.