- Yield 10 servings
This granola can be served as a cereal with cold milk or layer it with your favorite yogurt and fruit to make a parfait.
- 5 cups rolled oats (not the quick cooking kind)
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 cup slivered or sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Sprinkle the oats in a large baking pan. Use an oven mitt to place the oats in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally with a long-handled spoon. Remove from the oven with the oven mitt and place on a wire rack. Let stand until cool. Combine the cooled oats with the brown sugar, wheat germ, almonds and sesame seeds in a large mixing bowl. Stir with a rubber spatula to mix well.
- Add the oil, corn syrup and vanilla to the oat mixture and stir to make sure the oats are coated well. Stir in the dried cranberries. Spread the mixture in the baking pan.
- Use the oven mitt to place the granola in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring frequently with the long-handled spoon. Remove from the oven with the oven mitt and place on a wire rack to cool. Stir ocassionally until cool. Store in a container with a lid.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Association of Junior Leagues International, Inc.’s In the Kitchen with Kids (Nashville, Tn., 2009).