Morning Coffee Oatmeal
- Yield: 4 servings
- 120grams (4 1/2 oz or 1 1/3 cups) rolled (traditional/porridge) oats
- 2tablespoons sultanas (golden raisins) or sliced dried dates (optional)
- 160milliliters (5 1/2 fl oz/ or 2/3 cup) milk
- Pinch of sea salt flakes
- Coffee Syrup
- 1tablespoon rapadura or dark brown sugar
- 1teaspoon Dutch processed cacao powder
- 1/4cup (2 fl oz) freshly brewed espresso or good-quality strong instant coffee
- Lemon juice, to taste
- To serve
- Natural or Greek-style yogurt
- Sliced fresh (medjool) dates
- Raw cacao nibs
- Combine the oats, raisins or dates (if using) and milk with 625ml (2 1/2 fl oz/2/3 cups) water and a pinch of salt in a heavy based saucepan. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture comes to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5–6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Add a little more milk or hot water to adjust the consistency.
- Meanwhile, for the coffee syrup, stir the sugar, cacao powder, a tiny pinch of salt and coffee until dissolved. Add lemon juice a little at a time, to taste.
- Serve the oatmeal (porridge) into bowls, swirl the yogurt through and drizzle with the coffee syrup. Scatter with the sliced dates and cacao nibs.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Breakfast Bowls (Smith Street Books © 2017)