Morel Mushroom Po’ Boys
- Yield 2 servings
Earthy morel mushrooms are coated in Cajun seasoning and panko breadcrumbs for a light crunch before they are cooked in a skillet. Heirloom tomato slices and butter lettuce leaves balance the morels and a tofu-based garlic aioli is spread on the hoagie buns will satisfy any mayonnaise cravings, without all the fat.
- Mushroom filling:
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 4 teaspoons low sodium Cajun Seasoning, divided
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 10 large morel mushrooms, cut into quarters
- -- Canola oil, for preparing the skillet
- -- Salt, to taste
- Tofu aoili:
- 4 ounces extra firm silken tofu
- 5 -- garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- -- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- -- Non-dairy milk
- -- Salt and pepper
- To complete the Morel Mushroom Po' Boys:
- 1 -- heirloom tomato, sliced
- 4 -- leaves butter lettuce
- 2 -- hoagie buns
- To prepare the morel mushroom filling: Place the flax seeds with the water in a blender and pulse until foamy. Pour into a bowl.
- Place the brown rice flour in a separate bowl and season with 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning. Toss to combine.
- Place the panko breadcrumbs into another separate bowl and season with 3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning. Mix well.
- Prepare a skillet with a coating of canola oil. Place the skillet over medium-high heat.
- Toss the morel mushroom quarters lightly in some brown rice flour. Shake off the excess and dip them in the flax seed mixture, allowing the excess to drip off. Coat morels with the panko breadcrumbs.
- Place the mushrooms in the heated skillet and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until browned on the bottom. Flip and cook another 3 to 4 minutes or until browned on both sides.
- Season a sprinkling of salt and place on a bed of paper towels. Pat dry with a paper towel on top.
- To prepare the garlicky tofu aioli: Add the tofu, olive oil, garlic, mustard and lemon juice to a blender. Pulse until well combined. Add the non-dairy milk until desired consistency is reached. Season with salt and pepper.
- To complete the Morel Mushroom Po’ Boys: Coat each side of the hoagie with garlicky tofu aioli. (Save the leftover aioli in the refrigerator and use in place of mayonnaise in a future cooking project.) Evenly divide the lettuces leaves and tomato slices between the two hoagie buns. Top with equal amounts of the mushrooms, and close the hoagies.