Monterey Jack and Pear Crisp
- Yield: 12 servings
- 10 oz. (2-1/2 cups) California Monterey Jack Cheese, finely shredded
- 3 lb. 8 oz. Pears (about 7)
- 1cup Dark or golden raisins
- 1/2cup Lemon juice
- 1 Ground nutmeg + for garnish
- 5 oz. (1-1/4 cups) All-purpose flour
- 10 oz. (1-1/4 cups) Brown sugar
- 1teaspoon Salt
- 8 oz. (1/2 cup) Unsalted butter
- Creme fraiche, lightly whipped for garnish
- Peel, core, and thinly slice pears.
- Layer pear slices, sprinkling raisins among the slices, in a buttered 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and nutmeg; reserve.
- Mix flour, brown sugar, and salt.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal; work in cheese.
- Sprinkle cheese mixture over pear mixture.
- Bake at 325 F until the pears are just tender and the cheese mixture has browned lightly, about 35 minutes. Remove from oven; cool 15 minutes. Cut into 12 squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Top 1 square with a dollop of creme fraiche; dust lightly with nutmeg.
Recipe courtesy of the California Milk Advisory Board