Mom’s Sweet Potatoes with Apples
- Yield: 8 servings
- 6 sweet potatoes
- 6 apples (I like a sweeter apple like Jonagolds or Galas)
- 3/4cup orange juice
- 1cup sugar
- 1/2cup butter, melted
- 2tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4cup lemon juice
- 1tablespoon lemon zest
- Bake the sweet potatoes. When tender and cool enough to handle, peel and slice.
- Peel, core, and slice apples (I don’t always peel the apples as I like the color the peels give).
- Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and in it layer the potatoes and apples.
- While the potatoes are cooling, make the sauce: in a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, and then add orange juice, cornstarch, sugar, lemon juice and zest. Bring to a boil and cook an additional 2 minutes at a full rolling boil. Stir constantly to keep from burning.
- Pour sauce over potatoes and apples.
- Bake at 350 for 35 or 40 minutes.
- After it’s been baked, this freezes well for up to 2 months. You can also do this ahead and reheat when you’re ready to serve.
Note: Stand back and wait for the compliments. I love to serve this with turkey, but it’s also wonderful with a pork roast or ham.