Mom’s Secret Recipe Beef Stew
- Yield 8 servings
Nutrient-rich canned tomatoes – great source of vitamins A and C – flavor the savory sauce in this beef stew.
- 1 1/2 pounds lean beef, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (28-ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can beef broth
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups baby carrots or 2 cups sliced carrots, 1-inch thick
- Toss beef with flour. Heat oil in a large, heavy saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high. Heat until hot. Add the beef. Cook for 5 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, broth, onion, pepper and thyme; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 45 minutes or until the beef is just tender.
- Add the potatoes and carrots; return to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 45 minutes or until the beef and vegetables are tender.